Monday, May 12, 2008

Kenya Cup Match Day 4:Lions defeat Nakuru

The Lions have extended their unbeaten run in the 2008 Kenya Cup to three matches with a hard fought 23-13 victory away to Nakuru RFC on Saturday 10th May 2008.

Scrum half Peter Mutai opened the scoring, touching down after the Lions drove back the Nakuru forwards following an early scrum down. His conversion took the score to 7-0. Mutai would again score in similar fashion a few minutes later, this time missing the conversion as the scores read 12-0 in favour of the Lions.

Nakuru would get back into the game, piling pressure on the Lions who had to play with 13 men for large spells of the opening half when prop Arthur Shikwe and centre Andrew Omonde were yellow carded by referee Paul Weloba for high tackles within minutes of each other. Nakuru failed to make their numerical advantage count and the match got to the halfway stage with the scores still reading 12-0 to the Lions.

Second half action saw Mutai add a penalty that took the scores to 15-0. The curse of the yellow card would return to haunt the Lions when man of the match Anthony Ogot was sinned binned for a high tackle. Nakuru were again in the driving seat following Ogot's yellow card but could not breach the Lions' defence.

Winger Benjamin Ojema extended the Lions' lead when he finished off a run initiated by Richard Kinyany', picking up a seemingly hopeless ball, skipping past his defender before touching down. Mutai missed the conversion as the Lions led 20-0.

The Nakuru fight back started when fullback Vincent Mose touched down, his conversion bringing the score to 20-7. Six points from flyhalf Ben Kamau's boot set up a tense finale to this encounter as the Wanyore narrowed the scores to 20-13.

The Lions,finally playing with their full compliment of 15 players managed to get back into the game and chose to seal it in dramatic fashion. They won a 70th minute penalty following a Nakuru infringement right at the centre of the pitch. They elected to go for points. Mutai drilled home a massive penalty that extended the Lions lead to 23-13. This gave them the impetus to search for a fourth try that would have seen them earn a bonus point. Nakuru held out as the final whistle sounded.

Final score Nakuru 13 KCB 23

In the Eric Shirley Shield fixture payed at the same venue, Xavier Makuba scored three tries as KCB II beat hosts Nakuru II 58-0. His brother Gavin scored another try, capping a good day for the Makubas. Other try scores were Ian Indimuli who scored twice, Edwin Ohana, captain Jeff Vilembwa and Bryan Omondi. KCB II were also awarded a penalty try.Steve Matioli and Curtis Katembo added two conversions apiece.

Other Kenya Cup scores

Strathmore 34 Mwamba 17

Mombasa 11 Mean Machine 3

Impala 22 Kenya Harlequin 12

No comments:



View My Stats